Re: [NTLK] How to secure data? (was Re: Newton Geek Factor)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 12:56:44 PST

My Newt sits in a stylish "Man-bag" from Wilson's
leather. It has it's own pocket. The rest of the bag
has my essentials like credit cards, money and stuff.
\and since my man-bag goes with me everywhere, so does
my Newt.
At work, I carry my Newt around by hand. I don't mind
showing it off and sometimes while walking down the
main cooridor (it'a 3/4s of a mile long connecting 10
buildings...have to walk over a mile to get to the
cafeteria and back to my cube) I do get comments.
And everybody in my department knows that the new is
mine!
Now...if only I can get a package that says
"help...help...I'm being repressed!" When the security
password is put in wrong.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- L A GREEN <lagoff11_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> WELL I dont know about ed but i take my newton
> everywhere in my ripoff pouch which hangs on my hip.
> it is setup to ask for my unlock code to get into
> it and once u get into it i use geeksafe to keep all
> my passwords and accounts locked up tight. i dont
> leave my newton anywhere except maybe at mmy dads
> and he already has tried to get in and failed. so i
> feel quite secure.
>
> LAG
>
> Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net> wrote:
> on 1/14/04 7:02 PM, DJ Vollkasko at
> DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net wrote:
>
> > Ed, how do you secure the data on your Newt?
>
> I was thinking the same thing... Also, what would
> you do if you lost it?
>
> I used to use my Newton and case for literally
> everything. I left it behind
> in a couple stores, and started rethinking my
> strategy, and pulled
> everything out, and started _very_ regular backups
> to a card, and just a few
> short weeks later, it got stolen! I was very happy
> that I no longer used my
> Newton as my wallet... I would never do that
> again... Do you really feel
> safe with this arrangement?

=====
"The only way to get real privacy, is not to collect the information in the first place."
   'Aviel D. Rubin, the
   technical director of the Information Security Institute at Johns
   Hopkins University on the requirement that GPS location systems be added
   to "Fast-pass/EZ-pass" in-car toll devices.