Re: [NTLK] How to secure data? (was Re: Newton Geek Factor)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 02:08:10 PST

on 1/16/04 5:07 PM, DJ Vollkasko at DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net wrote:

> So how do y'all handle this on your Newtons? What features do any of the
> security measures you employ offer?

Well, for one, I presume that anybody who finds my Newton is not going to
know the first thing about Newtons, so the password once a day seems
sufficient. When they first turn it on, it will seem to be working fine, and
they may play a while with it, but at some point, it will lock up, showing
my name and phone number, giving them a chance to come clean. ;-)

I also no longer carry sensitive information on my Newt. :-) If I did, I
would use a one or another of those security packages that are available.
Fort Knox, I think is what I have installed.

Another good idea is frequent backups. This was the thing I missed the most
when my Newton got stolen. I had several names, addresses and phone numbers
I had entered on my Newton, and not put on my computer. In a couple of
instances, that info was important, and I was stuck. I also had a package
slip from our local post office in my case, which made it difficult when I
wanted to pick up the package... These are the things I'm most concerned
about! ;-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland