Re: [NTLK] New to the group with questions

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 09:37:08 PST

There are two reasons I can think of for your Newt to
be resetting (well...three if you split one up into
two seperate ones)
1) the ROM has come unseated from it's socket. This
can happen if the Newt exerienced a sudden jar (like
being dropped).
1.2) Something in your Newt has come apart. I
experienced this when the crystal was broken loose and
shorting against another connnection on the main board
2) the Battery contacts are not making a good enough
connection, or there is a problem with your
rechargeable batteries. Check your battery ejector. It
should shove your battery try out when the catch is
released. If it is weak, then you may need to adjust
the contact. All of these issues requires opening the
Newt up to fix...
If it's any consolation, 90% of the time, it's the ROM
thing in item #1
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Bret Feinblatt <bafein_at_mac.com> wrote:
> It offers no explanation whatsoever. I don't
> generally see it just as
> it restarts, since it's usually off, but I hear the
> chime and have a
> look. It goes thru with loading everything in, pops
> up the dialog boxes
> showing the cards & all, and that's it.
> The first time it happened when I noticed it was
> when I heard it chime,
> and found a note I'd written in NotePad had
> disappeared. As it was the
> last thing I'd done on the Newt, it appears to have
> characteristics of
> a hardware reset, where the last thing you did is
> forgotten.
>
> However, it's impossible for it to be a hardware
> reset, as I carry my
> Newt in one of those black leather fliptop jobbies,
> and the screen
> cover is always folded back in the open position,
> protecting the reset
> button from any possible accidental contact. And, as
> I said, it gives
> me no explanation or indication that it even knows
> it reset itself.
>
> It's puzzling.
>
> On Tuesday, January 20, 2004, at 07:41 PM, Laurent
> Daudelin wrote:
> > Is it doing the reset without putting any error
> message? When you
> > reboot,
> > does it give you any reason why it restarted?

=====
"The only way to get real privacy, is not to collect the information in the first place."
   'Aviel D. Rubin, the
   technical director of the Information Security Institute at Johns
   Hopkins University on the requirement that GPS location systems be added
   to "Fast-pass/EZ-pass" in-car toll devices.