[NTLK] My favourite database is...

From: Vaguely Radio (vradio_at_maine.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 16:20:38 PST

Hi everyone - I've asked once before but I'll re-post in a more
friendly format for anyone who might be interested in dredging up the
topic again. I'll itemize my questions for easy perusal!

1) I'm looking for a database program. What program(s) "should" I use?

...In fact, I've narrowed it down to three that I'm considering, unless
I've made a glaring omission that someone wants to rap my knuckles on
sharply: Notion vs. Leverage vs. Filepad. These seem robust
enough/general-purpose enough to satisfy the demands of most occasions
I can think of during which I would use a database. I've tried eBase
and found it functional, but I don't like that it relies on Works.

2) Is there a reason (missing features, I'd imagine) to use two
different database apps, or is one pretty much going to cover it if I
choose the right one?

3) I'm leaning hard towards Notion because it strikes me as very
user-friendly, though FilePad looks very fully-featured as well. I've
tried the PelicanWare website and it does not resolve - is the site
down, and is there somewhere to purchase the latest full version of
Notion? If not, is there someplace I'm missing where I can download it
and perhaps it is now abandonware? I have the demo of 2.0 from UNNA
but time grows short before the demo expires...

Thanks again everyone and sorry if I'm asking the same question the
list veterans have heard a zillion times. I've searched the archives
and have come up with a few interesting threads, but I love a good
"shootout" where people are free to talk about, for example, the
look-and-feel of an app instead of just its feature set. So... any
comments?

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html