Re: [NTLK] My favourite database is...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 16:45:34 PST

on 22/01/04 19:20, Vaguely Radio at vradio_at_maine.rr.com wrote:

> Hi everyone - I've asked once before but I'll re-post in a more
> friendly format for anyone who might be interested in dredging up the
> topic again. I'll itemize my questions for easy perusal!
>
> 1) I'm looking for a database program. What program(s) "should" I use?
>
> ...In fact, I've narrowed it down to three that I'm considering, unless
> I've made a glaring omission that someone wants to rap my knuckles on
> sharply: Notion vs. Leverage vs. Filepad. These seem robust
> enough/general-purpose enough to satisfy the demands of most occasions
> I can think of during which I would use a database. I've tried eBase
> and found it functional, but I don't like that it relies on Works.
>
> 2) Is there a reason (missing features, I'd imagine) to use two
> different database apps, or is one pretty much going to cover it if I
> choose the right one?
>
> 3) I'm leaning hard towards Notion because it strikes me as very
> user-friendly, though FilePad looks very fully-featured as well. I've
> tried the PelicanWare website and it does not resolve - is the site
> down, and is there somewhere to purchase the latest full version of
> Notion? If not, is there someplace I'm missing where I can download it
> and perhaps it is now abandonware? I have the demo of 2.0 from UNNA
> but time grows short before the demo expires...
>
> Thanks again everyone and sorry if I'm asking the same question the
> list veterans have heard a zillion times. I've searched the archives
> and have come up with a few interesting threads, but I love a good
> "shootout" where people are free to talk about, for example, the
> look-and-feel of an app instead of just its feature set. So... any
> comments?
>
> -Dan

Have you checked eBase? It is nice. Notion is also nice. I've never used
Leverage...

-Laurent.

fish n.: [Adelaide University, Australia] 1. Another metasyntactic variable.
See foo. Derived originally from the Monty Python skit in the middle of "The
Meaning of Life" entitled "Find the Fish". 2. A pun for `microfiche'. A
microfiche file cabinet may be referred to as a `fish tank'.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html