Re: [NTLK] Problem with WiFi

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 19:28:13 PST

On Thursday, January 22, 2004, at 05:31 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> get it to connect with my NetGear 814v2 router, but so far no success.
> I've been asking around trying to find out how others manage to get
> this to work, so maybe you can help me.
> Also, if you've got any advice on making a successful connection
> between the Newt and an iBook (or other laptop) for syncing and so
> forth, you have my undivided attention.

General advice, since you ask:

Not all routers support transfer of Appletalk/Ethertalk packets from
wireless<-->wired sides of the router.

In other words, an iBook and a Newton both connected wirelessly could
see each other, but if the iBook were wired and the Newton was
wireless, they could not connect (for using NCU or whatever via
Appletalk).

If you are using one of the strictly TCP/IP utils for OS X then it
could work regardless (I think- I've not tried any of the X capable
Newton transfer utils myself, yet). And using the Newton on the
internet wirelessly should be fine.

Do your testing with WEP off, for starters (and don't bother turning it
on either, is my advice :). And leave MAC address filters off, too,
while you are making sure the wireless card is actually working, you
can turn that on later.

NetGear MR314 routers WILL support Appletalk/ethertalk across the
wired/wireless connections. I *think* the MR814 will NOT. NetGear
however, unlike Linksys and some of the other brands, will "talk Mac"
and if you call them they can advise for certain about the 814. (At
least, they were willing to chat about Appletalk some time ago when I
called. I've never seen this technical detail in writing, I had to
call).

I have the MR314 myself so I know that one works. It seems that you
are asking more about getting ANY internet connectivity going, but in
case you are going to try to talk to the iBook using this router, you
might run into this problem next.

HTH.

Brian

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html