Re: [NTLK] Programming the PCMCIA socket, TCP/IP stacks on a MP120

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 23:29:03 PST

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, joel pigdon wrote:

> Are the DDk's designed to work on a MP120 device

120/2.0 only.

> Is there any other sample code which uses the PCMCIA
> port. The CardModem one shows me how to write the
> driver but not how to interface it to any software,
> which I spose is fair enough considering it is a
> PCMCIA DDK

The card modem sample code is to write a driver for a modem that could be
used by NIE or faxing or other system utilities using modems.

This is not to be confused with a modem script.

> I was looking at the NIE1.1 devkit and I saw that it
> ends up in a "comm tool" is there any code on how I
> could write one to talk to the ethernet card. Of
> course this only works If I can hack off the PPP part
> of the internet tool

I'm not really sure you can do that. However, I don't know much details
about NIE 1.1. If it's modular like NIE 2, then you may be able to build a
custom module to talk to an Ethernet card. Eckhart may give more
information about this.

Alternatively, you can replace the whole NIE. This seems to actually be
what you've been willing to do.

> Failing all this, there is open source code for a uIP
> stack that I have downloaded, If I recompile this and
> add the code for the driver, adapted for newton, how
> does the newton work with multitasking in C++,

It works well, but it's Newton's multitasking APIs, you don't have POSIX
calls such as pthreads or signals.

Also, the main problem when porting code is global variables. You can't
have global variables on the Newton (in fact, you can have few globals in
your own custom tasks, but they are not handled by the runtime code of the
Newton development tools, you have to call some specific function to
access them, and you cannot declare static non-const stuff).

> I seem to have all the required parts to the project,
> Linux driver code in C for my card (3c589), uIP code
> for micro TCPIP stack, Newton Dev tools, I just need a
> push start in the right direction
> So If any of you coders out there can give me some
> ideas, starting points, inspiration please do so.

This is a huge project. If you really want to undertake it, define small
steps to get feedback of your work, otherwise you'll abandon it quickly.
Also, you might want to weight that project vs getting a MP2K.

> Do you Yahoo!?

No, I don't.

Paul

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html