Re: [NTLK] Indispensable Software for a 2100

From: Newtopia (MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 08:51:23 PST

David - thanks! I wish that the UNNA repository had a brief description to
each of the files. I think I saw a request for volunteers to add comments to
the achieve? This would be a great enhancement!

If you could expound on Dashboard and Avi's Backdrop, where I've read
reference to Avi's Backdrop - I don't know what it is...

Regards,

Paul Curtis - USA/OR
MP 120 v2.0/130/2100
Michigan State Spartans - Go Green! Go White!

Well, here is what I can contribute to the list:

MoreInfo 5.0.5 [many people who want something more than the built-in Dates
program find they love MoreInfo]. MoreInfo is pretty powerful and can be
overkill for many. Dateman and ActionNames are two other alternatives. For
me, its all about MoreInfo but ActionNames is great on pre-2.x Newtons. Only
issue with MoreInfo is that its still being sold and its expensive.
Something like $80 I believe.

Dashboard [I really, really, need to save up some money for this - anyone
know what it even costs?].

Avi's Backdrop is probably the most universally used software on 2x00
Newtons.

NewtWorks is the Word Processor and often the Spreadsheet of choice.

If you don't use Dashboard then TaskList is a great little extra that allows
you to choose between open applications if you are someone who has a lot
open at once like me.

Just yesterday a new little extra came out that used in conjunction with
TaskList gives a chunk of the same functionality as Dashboard ...

SmallExtras 1.0 lets you access your Extras Drawer without opening it,
pretty handy.

Notion is a list maker [sorta a wanna be database]. Some really love it.
Sadly it also has a price tag attached.

eBase is another database option, its more of a database than Notion but its
still pretty basic and rather limited. Its now available as freeware on
UNNA.

Leverage is spose to be just the cat's meow of Newton databases but to get a
working demo you have to e-mail the author and last time I got a working
demo I didn't install it until after it had lapsed ... so I can't tell you
if its true or not ... I really need to e-mail him again ... Since its a $90
database ... one wants to demo it a little before buying.

NewtSync is sworn by by most of us who sync with Mac OS X.

For financial applications PocketMoney is the best around. Using its
Exchange program you can even upload and download QIF files from current
Quicken versions.

Bills to Pay tracks just that, CheckPlease works with Bills to Pay and
PocketMoney, the three are very nice when used together. CheckPlease will
compute tips, split bills, etc ...

StylesPlus is a nice formatting tool for text, it is widely available
throughout the Newton and you can choose your fonts and formatting including
a select all function. I like it personally.

HyperNewt is an awesome application that acts as either a second notepad or
a replacement for Notes. Its very powerful and quite nice.
It has a host of directory options.

MoreFolders is a great extension to allow unlimited nested folders on the
Newton. The only problem is that it costs a bit for what it is. Its the
sorta thing you just love when you try it but then you have a terribly time
trying to justify paying for it.

Extensions like ExtrasSelect all are very useful, anything that adds a
select all button to a Newton application is simply awesome.

I personally love TapBar, it adds a button on the side of the Newton or a
floating button that lets you access common functionality, like different
keyboards, the backlite, power, etc ...

Hope that helps,

David

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html