Re: [NTLK] Indispensable Software for a 2100

From: David M. Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 09:46:13 PST

Well, it sorta does have a description in that ReadMe's are included
with any software that had a ReadMe. Its not the perfect system by any
breath of the imagination though.

Avi's Backdrop is pretty awesome. It replaces whatever else you use as
a backdrop and gives one tap access to the backlite, volume, clock,
battery condition, owners and workgroups, Dates, rotate, and clearing
of heap RAM. On top of that it provides a sliding bar on which apps can
hang buttons so you can have fast access to Styles Plus, Font Drive,
Pocket Money, HyperNewt, and whatever else you might enjoy. Above the
sliding bar you can post a grey scale picture [there are a bunch on
UNNA] and up coming dates such as birthdays and anniversaries are
posted for you. Below the sliding bar you have a pad to draw or write
on, you can have the contents of that pad posted to Notes, printed,
faxed, or beamed whenever you like.

Dashboard gives incredible control and access or Extras and the Button
Bar. Dashboard provides you with a sorta upside down Apple Menu down on
the Button Bar that you can customize and tweak to your heart's
content. It also lets you customize the Button Bar adding further
control over icon size and position and a bunch of buttons on the lower
side of the Button Bar giving one tap access to backlite, battery
condition, clearing of heap RAM, rotate, and some other things. My demo
ran out and I need to find me $25 to buy a copy with ... its a great
application. Oh, and you can reduce it to a floating bar if you want so
you can actually get a larger screen, which ROCKS!

You mentioned surprise at commercial products in a post not long back I
think ... my thoughts:

I am a big Newton freeware fan. I don't really like that SilverWare
still charges like $80 for MoreInfo so long after the platform has been
discontinued, the number of customers can't be climbing very fast for
them and they aren't releasing any maintenance updates. At this point
Newton users tend to turn to each other for support so I have a hard
time believing that there is a huge benefit to owning it so you can
call for tech support. At the same time, I have to say its one of my
most loved applications, I use it more than anything else. Its not that
its not deserving of the money, its just that as a Newton user I find
it difficult to spend that much on a company's product. On the other
hand, Dashboard is something I think of as pretty reasonable in price
and it gives incredible functionality just like MoreInfo. Basically if
MI was only $30-35 I would be telling everyone to buy it. Leverage is
also one of the few "still charged for" applications. And without
playing with the demo more I guess I don't know about it. But I do know
that while its like $90, that is a big price drop from its original
price the Newton was a current product [50% or something I think].
Also, when it comes to random guy working to give the Newton community
something I think you find people far more willing to pay money for it.
I am very thankful for all the freeware like NewtSync, eBase, the Glass
Onion plug-ins, etc ... They really make the experience for me. But I
would never say that PCB Man should make me a SER-01 for the cost of
parts. Nor do I frown on the wireless driver costing a little. Though I
do shy away from the ATA driver registration because I find that for
the cost of the driver plus an ATA card I could get a really big linear
flash card anyways, not as big, but as big as I need.

David

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html