Re: [NTLK] Freezing or removing built-in icons

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 13:26:08 PDT

On Jul 10, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Indigo Kelleigh wrote:

> Yeah, the reason I was looking to remove some icons is that, even with
> nothing additional installed (near as I can tell), my memory info
> reads 997K
> used/730K free of internal ram. A compact flash card would help this,
> though, right?

A compact flash card would help - but that's not the type of card that
was mentioned earlier. Newtons have no built in support for compact
flash cards - nor do they have a CF card slot. What they do support is
Linear Flash - which is very different. The emate has 1 type 2 pcmcia
card slot - into which a Linear Flash pcmcia card will fit - these
cards are available in sizes between 2 and 28 (or was it 32?)
megabytes. IIRC the emate has some funky requirements for the specific
type of LF card - as they came in different flavours of voltages (3v
read, 5v write, 5v read/write etc.) - check for compatability first -
one of the FAQS around here should have more details than what I can
remember - but the important point is that some LF cards that work with
2x00 newtons won't work with the eMate I think.

One CAN use cf cards with a newton - if one A) purchases the ATA driver
that someone put together recently and B) purchase a pcmcia cf adaptor
- basically a pcmcia card with a built in slot for a CF card.

Unfortunately - getting either an LF card, or the trio of the driver, a
cf card, and a pcmcia adaptor, will only give you more storage space -
not a bad thing by itself, but you mentioned running low on HEAP. EVERY
package that you have on your newton, unless it is 'frozen' takes up
some small amount of heap just for being there, and takes up more when
you are actually using it.

By giving you more space to put packages on your eMate, you would also
allow yourself to eat up more of your HEAP ram with them - no CF or LF
cards can fix that. The memory upgrade IIRC is the only way to increase
the heap ram size - so even if you get a LF or CF card you will still
want the upgrade.