Re: [NTLK] Mac.com Question

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 17:02:19 PDT

On Jul 26, 2004, at 10:26 PM, Dale Steele wrote:

> I realize this is not newton related but since a lot of other listers
> apparently use mac.com too, here goes.
>
> Anyone else see this recently and if so is it for real? The email
> came with an as of yet unopened email file with my mac.com address
> zipped.

I haven't seen it....
My .mac account is still fairly spam free. Check the headers of the
sent message and verify it looks like it came from Apple?

If you are on a PC it could be a legitimate message as some PC virus do
use your default SMTP to send SPAM.

The "returned mails" in the other NT thread are actually being sent by
someone who's PC is infected with a virus which is sending out mass
messages to everyone in the outlook or outlook express address book, so
it is no way related to something "you did".

Unfortunately most people persist in using MS windows AND Internet
Explorer AND Outlook Express, which has proven to be a completely
compromised configuration. Of course this is the default and many/most
people aren't aware/knowledgeable enough to change.

Just switching to the Mozilla for Browsing and any other mail client
significantly improves your security on windows, and thereby reduces
the crud in all of our inboxes.

Marty