Re: [NTLK] Problems With Newton Press

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 11:24:31 PDT

Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 07:33:33 PDT

>Do brainwipes cause the Newton's ID to change? I ask because I had done a
>brainwipe on my u2000 a while back, and while trying to install the ATA
>support package, it prompted me with a different Newton ID than the one I
>registered.

Now that's strange. Reading all the followup posts I was wondering a couple
of things.
One if you Brain Wipe your newt and have the original (final patch) not the
modified one installed what Newton ID do you get?

The one thing I noticed when looking for the Newton ID that if you use
NewtTest 1.0 you get the following Newton ID for my MP2100: 0000 0000 0205
BEF1 (with Patch 717260)

Now if I go get the Newton ID from ATA Support Demo: 0000-0000-0205-BEF1-F

This shows the additional Digit/Character that's mentioned in the followup
posts.

There are a few combinations of items that were mentioned that could affect
your situation.
The patch used, the name (this depends if the Newton ID is somehow
calculated using other items other than just the Silicon ID.), Maybe you
patched it after having gotten the ATA registered? still there are a number
of situations that may affect this. I would try starting from patch 717260
and installing ATA and see what Newton ID this pulls. Then install the patch
710031 and try it again... maybe this may pull a different Newton ID (in
ATA Support App).

Just my 2 cents.

God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups – now 3 months FREE!