Re: [NTLK] Repair clinic in Paris

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 15:29:41 PDT

Grant Symon wrote:

> Now the major question is what I'm going to do with it and to that end
> I have a few questions :

Good, I like to answer laundry-lists like this. You do have a 2000 or 2100,
right?:

> 1/
> I've gathered from viewing a few posts on the list, that there is WiFi
> capability now (will there be no end to progress in the Newton
> community?). I have a Sonnet 802.11g PC card for an old G4 Powerbook.
> Would this work with the Newton? or are there only specific cards

Basicially any card based on the Lucent/Agere or PRISM 2 or 3 chipsets will
work. You can get the driver here:

http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm

It's highly unlikely that any 802.11g cards will work with the driver. You'll
have to get an older card.

> which work? I also have an ethernet card which used to work with my
> Newton. Have there been any advances in transfer software in the last
> couple of years. I remember that I used to have a really hard time
> getting it to work properly.

EScale for OS X will let you connect via Ethernet.

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/

> 2/
> I see also that there is a Sync app for X's Address book and iCal.
> This would be very cool. Does it work well?

I can't say, not a Mac user here.

> 3/
> GPS would be well cool too. What are the best options for this? Could
> it be used for driving? Are there many maps available?

We've been talking quite a bit about GPS and such lately... I'd highly suggest
you check it out in the archive first:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&w=2&r=1&s=gps&q=b card. (I currently have a 2mb and a 4mb card.)

> 4/
> What about Flash memory cards. Can I use a PC Card adapter, with say a
> 64mb Flash card. (I currently have a 2mb and a 4mb card.)

With Paul Guyot's ATA Support package, you can use CompactFlash cards with a
PCMCIA adapter in your Newton. Otherwise you've gotta stick to good old
linear flash.

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

FAQ on memory cards:
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIB1

> 5/
> I have a Nokia T610 phone, would the IrDa be compatible? Are there any
> drivers for this phone? (I even have a Nokia modem card which worked
> really well with an old Nokia phone)

With the one-two punch of Neo and Nitro, your Newton will be compatible with
the IrOBEX and IrCOMM standards, letting you beam objects back and forth with
your phone as well as use it as an IR modem for data connections:

http://40hz.org/Neo/
http://40hz.org/Nitro/

> 6/
> Is there any kind of webmail reader? I used to have Eudora email
> installed, but it never worked very well. Have there been any
> improvements in this in the last couple of years?

Err... webmail? Newt's Cape coupled with mail2pda.com should work fairly well.

There's two great mail transports now, both by Simon Bell: SimpleMail and
Mail V. Both support SMTP authentication, plugins, and lots of other
features. SimpleMail is best for POP3 and Mail V supports IMAP.

http://www.simple.dial.pipex.com/
http://www.newtonmail.dsl.pipex.com/

> 7/
> Is web-surfing out of the question now?

Well, no... I wrote a great quick comparison of the four options for the NPDS
list which I will now paste verbatim:

  1. NetHopper

Oldest, no JPEG support, no HTTP 1.1 support unless you use the patch, no
support for tables or cookies? (I can't remember, I never used it that much).
  Renders pages pretty fast IIRC.

  2. NewtScape

Only $20 or $10 for students:
http://home.comcast.net/~saweyer/newton/newtscape.htm

Oozing with features and plugins, supports forms, cookies, HTTP
authentication, tables, limited frame support, saves pages as books, JPEG and
BMP support, ZIP support....

The slowest at rendering pages though. And some people find the interface has
a steep learning curve.

[Note: I pretty much only use Newt's Cape...]

  3. Courier

Courier is darn fast and is the only browser currently in development. It
doesn't support a whole lot of HTML right now but it strips the unsupported
stuff out of the page rather efficently. Supports HTTP proxies and RSS
natively but doesn't support images at all, or forms. Caches rendered pages
instead of page source so browsing through the cache is really fast.

4. LunaSuite

http://lunasuite.lunatech.com/

Which had great support for just about everything, but pushed the Newton to
the limits (of heap memory, at least) and is quite crash-prone.

> 8/
> Basically .... what are people using them for these days? What's your
> favourite Newton thing?

Personally, organizing my life (NewtToDo is my backdrop app now), and surfing
the web from the couch (especially doing IMDB lookups on actors :)

> Aside from all that, I still think I'm going to need Frank or Johannes
> to look at my Newton in Paris, but for now ... it working! Oh yes ...
> I think I have a *ton* of Newton software on a CD somewhere. Mostly
> demos, other than the stuff I purchased. Is there any software missing
> from your archives, that you've been looking for and can't find? Maybe
> I might have it.

Well, first check UNNA:

http://www.unna.org/

And if it's not there, submit it :)