Re: [NTLK] Closure of Hiroshi Noguchi's Newton Driver site- thanks alot, gilgamesh!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 21:40:26 PDT

on 12/06/04 00:25, Jim Witte at jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us wrote:

>>> This just off the internet! Due to unauthorized marketing/pirating of
>>> HN's
>>> WaveLan driver on ebay, the website is no longer available for
>>> support of
>>> newtons. Is this temporary or permanent? Perhaps those that know HN
>>> can
>>> enquire if the change is permanent?
>>
>> Looks like it gone. :(
>> I was just trying to get a WiFi PC Card and this fiasco hits...
>> Well, chalk that one to Gilgamesh. He pill that page off line
>> completely.
>
> God Dammit! I was about to buy one the drivers in when I had the
> money and figured out how to get it to work. Hmm, does anybody know a
> pro-bono lawyer so we could sue this 'gilgamesh' idiot! Hiroshi
> *specifically* states this on his website.. I wonder if Ebay's
> "square-trade" arbitrartion could be put into play - it could be argued
> that gilgamesh was selling copyrighted materials without the authors
> consent..

I'm not sure I understand. Doesn't Hirochi have to provide the registration
number for its driver? If so, what is the problem? Was this "Gilgamesh" also
providing registration number?

-Laurent.

farming n.: [Adelaide University, Australia] What the heads of a disk drive
are said to do when they plow little furrows in the magnetic media.
Associated with a crash. Typically used as follows: "Oh no, the machine has
just crashed; I hope the hard drive hasn't gone farming again." No longer
common; modern drives automatically park their heads in a safe zone on
power-down, so it takes a real mechanical problem to induce this.