Re: [NTLK] emate battery question

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Jun 14 2004 - 15:56:06 PDT

Matthew wrote:

> 1. Remove the pack from the eMate and from the hard plastic cover.
> 2. Drop is on the floor and bang it around generally for 5 minutes.
> It's tough. It can take it.
> 3. Throw it in the freezer for about 45 minutes.
> 4. Put it back in the eMate. Let it heat back up to 15-20 degrees C.
> 5. Keep repeating above steps for up to 2 days or until the pack takes
> a charge.

Ryan asked:

> Is this safe?

Yes, it is. After all, what do you have to loose if the eMate won't accept
the pack? In my experience, though, you can very often get around the
banging part by simply powering the eMate down and up again until it finally
accepts the pack. It might happen that the first charge cycle will be
finished
after a minute and the following discharge cycle after 30 seconds. Don't
worry, it often gets better eventually. I am currently testing a battery
the eMate didn't accept at first, either. I've been running it through
charge / discharge cycles for nearly a month, it is currently in cycle #39.
The pack started with a discharge time of 30 seconds and is at a little more
than 14 hours at the moment. This is about what you can expect from a
near-new
battery in which 1200 mAh cells are used. You will find the exact data as
soon
as this long-time test is finished and I have added a new page to my site.
I'm planning to run this pack through another 11 cycles to reach the golden
50. This
eMate will probably hold the world record of having been powered on for the
longest time without really doing anything...

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de