Re: [NTLK] More eScale issues from a newbie

From: Nicolas Zinovieff (krugazor_at_free.fr)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 02:08:20 PDT

First, just a little glitch, but I wanted to point it out anyway:
Escale is a french word that means stop-point, pit-stop, stopover :-)
It has nothing to do with any scale.

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 06:26, Patrick Wynne wrote:
> I was having trouble establishing an AppleTalk connection until I read
> on the list that I should be using the latest nightly build of eScale.
> So I downloaded the 20040523-0431 build and tried again. Success! For a
> little while.

AppleTalk has been somewhat tempered with in the last months or so. I am
currently trying to revert it to the point where it was actually better than
TCP ;-)

> I managed to get the Dock TCP/IP package installed, as well as Newt's
> Cape. But then, while trying to install DashBoard, eScale froze. After
> about 10-15 minutes of stalled progress, eScale crashed.

Do you have the crash log?

> Now, whenever I try to connect, the Newton can't find the Mac and then
> eScale crashes. It never stays up for more than 2 or 3 minutes.

That's definitely a weird problem. Are you sure the AppleTalk stack didn't
crash, and that it is availaible at the time of launch?

> I've deleted eScale and its attendent preferences, reinstalled it and
> tried again. No luck. Since I managed to get Dock TCP/IP installed, I
> tried to connect that way, but got an error on the Newton side. Then
> eScale crashed.

What error? -4?
A bit of history for those who haven't heard of it, yet.
One of the major issues with TCP/IP docking mechanism is that there is a bug
deep down in NIE (the TCP stack on the Newton side) that is somewhat
unpredictable, but seems related to an endpoint obscure bug.
If you happen to see a -4, stay assured that we are looking into this, but
since it seems to be so tightly attached to the bowels of NIE, it might take
a while.
The good news is that it's somewhat random. It's a lottery, either you win or
lose.

> Any suggestions and/or help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm
> tearing my hair out over this.

No need to inflict self mutilation over this...

Let me add that every bug you repeatedly encounter can be see as something
good, as well, since it will allow us to fix problems more efficiently.

Cheers!

--
Nicolas Zinovieff
Custom Developments