Re: [NTLK] More eScale issues from a newbie

From: Patrick Wynne (pat_wynne_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 23:34:31 PDT

On Jun 16, 2004, at 13:10, Patrick Wynne wrote:

> What about this one?

Ooo-kaay. Don't quite know what that last message from me was about,
but just ignore it.

Anyway...

Sorry about the name mixup. I don't know why I thought it was "eScale".

>> I managed to get the Dock TCP/IP package installed, as well as Newt's
>> Cape. But then, while trying to install DashBoard, eScale froze. After
>> about 10-15 minutes of stalled progress, eScale crashed.
>
> Do you have the crash log?

Yeah. Would you like me to send it you?

>> Now, whenever I try to connect, the Newton can't find the Mac and then
>> eScale crashes. It never stays up for more than 2 or 3 minutes.
>
> That's definitely a weird problem. Are you sure the AppleTalk stack
> didn't
> crash, and that it is availaible at the time of launch?

Not sure how to tell if the AT stack crashed or is currently up, but I
did turn AT off and then back on, on the assumption that doing so would
be a good idea. Didn't help any, though.

Basically, here's what happens:

1. Escale says
     Waiting for Newton connection...
     Idle
2. I open the Newton Dock and tell it to connect via AppleTalk. I
select Connect to: other computer and the Chooser comes up and says
"Looking for Mac OS computers...". Escale's AT connection icon turns
black and the window says
     Connected to Newton
     retrieving name...
3. The name of my Mac comes up in the Chooser and I select it, hit the
X button and then immediately hit the Connect button in Dock.
4. After 30-60 seconds (usually, though it has occasionally stayed up
for ~2 minutes), the Escale icon in the window blinks a couple of times
and then the app quits. Most of the time I get the standard "This app
has crashed; send a report?" dialog, but not always.

>> I've deleted eScale and its attendent preferences, reinstalled it and
>> tried again. No luck. Since I managed to get Dock TCP/IP installed, I
>> tried to connect that way, but got an error on the Newton side. Then
>> eScale crashed.
>
> What error? -4?

Here's the message:
     Dock TCP/IP
     NIE Error:
     Problem connecting. DHCP server unavailable or unable to configure
this device.

Now, I'm less sure of what I'm doing with TCP/IP, so perhaps I don't
have everything set up properly on my Mac.

>> Any suggestions and/or help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm
>> tearing my hair out over this.
>
> No need to inflict self mutilation over this...

Heh, just being dramatic...

Thanks,
Patrick Wynne
<pat_wynne_at_earthlink.net>