Re: [NTLK] Newtscape Crashing...Help!

From: Edmund Blackadder (edmund_at_helmug.gr)
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 11:21:18 PDT

On 18 Jun 2004, at 19:14, Matthew Atkinson wrote:

> I'm using the trial version of Newtscape (the newest
> one - 2.1e2 from Steve's website) and would like to
> register it, but am having problems with it.
> Hopefully someone can assist.
> Here's my Newt: mp2000 (not upgraded), ROM #710031,
> 56K x-jack modem in the top slot, and anywhere from
> 40K-75K heap, depending on what I'm screwing with at
> the time. 1.3K internal memory free, 9.2K free on a
> memory card. I also have Courier loaded, but frozen
> at this time (it works fine and never gave me
> problems, though).
> Here's the problem: I can get online ok, and it'll
> load the first page just fine (say, Google). Whenever
> I try to go to another page from that first one, it
> locks my system. Hard. Even the power switch doesn't
> work...I have to hit the reset button.
> I already tried to STFA, but didn't come across
> anything about this. Is it the mp2k's lack of heap?
> Or something else? I've tried dorking with some of
> NC's settings, but same result every time. I'd really
> like to use NC for its graphics capabilities and other
> features.

I bet it is a heap problem...I have some issues regarding internet
usage with my mp2000 also. Even 5 minutes of Newtchat bogs my newt
down...

I have a 2100 motheboard but i do not opening it just yet. Anyway, i
mainly use Newt for email, not for web. Perhaps your best move is to
buy a 2100 mb for 20$. (Or even cheaper).

Using san garbage collection software may give you more time online
also. NewtTest does a good job (Thanks Frank!)

Kostas