Re: [NTLK] Ethernet woes (long)

From: Mark Holden (spartacus68_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 01:18:14 PDT

On 23 Jun 2004, at 19:11, Paul Guyot wrote:

> Is AppleTalk active in NCU preferences?
>
> If it is, you may want to do the following checks:
>
> - Run atlookup in the terminal to check that you have a :Docker entry
> like:

call me a wuss (altogether now "you're a wuss!") but I'm reluctant to
play around in the terminal. I really wouldn't have a clue what I was
doing. I'll keep your instructions though Paul and, if I can't find
another way forward, I'll give it a try.

I really don't think the problem is at the eMac end. NCU is set up
correctly, preferences set to 'listening under Appletalk', Appletalk is
active and the switch is lit up and ready.

The problem seems to be on the Newton side and, despite several
permutations of manual and DHCP configuration of Ethernet the Newt just
doesn't seem to be sending anything useful to the switch to make it
'see' the Newt. Johannes mentioned that he thought the 3com3C589C did
not work in the Newt. Newton Resources
(http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/) lists this as a compatible card
though. Any one else using one successfully? If so are you using the
3c589.pkg as well as the 3comaddon.pkg? I've been advised to delete
this.

So what to do? Well I have another 2 N2100s on their way. Once they
arrive I'll start from scratch, follow the instructions to the letter
and see if I have more luck. Thanks for all the advice.

Regards,
Mark