Re: [NTLK] Newton Board

From: Gavin McKenzie (ntlk_at_gavinmckenzie.fastmail.fm)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 11:13:25 PST

To me, I much favour the NTLK list. I also appreciate today that there
is effectively only one place to go for Newton information (NTLK) rather
than having to worry about checking two different mediums (NTLK and
board).

As for "...in the board, all messages are stored in the web, and you have
a nice search function.", well we have the same thing with NTLK. All the
messages in the archive are preent on the web and we have a nice search
function there. Further, I subscribe to NTLK from an IMAP email account
provided by FastMail.fm and in this way I can:
- read messages online or offline on my Newton using the wonderful Mail V
- read messages online or offline on my PC using Outlook Express
- read messages from anywhere in the world via the webmail interface of
FastMail
- I can search for messages using either the NewtonTalk archive search,
my FastMail search, Outlook search, etc.
- because of IMAP all of my messages stay "on the web"

Email is soooo much better to me because *I* get to choose from a
multitude of applications, tools, and interfaces with which to read and
manage it. Boards break that and require me to use their interface.

I don't say much on this list, but NTLK rocks as it is. A board, I have
no interest in.

BTW, I said that there is [effectively] only one place to go for Newton
information. The key there is the word effectively. I must recognize
that there still exists a couple of Usenet groups for the Newton which I
occasionally read on my Newt via my much loved InkSpot.

Sorry if my email sounds like it is coming on too strong. I've lived
through the "email or board" discussion at work with not-so successful
results (understatement), so I expect I have some emotional baggage on
the topic -- which is my problem, not yours.

Gavin.