Re: [NTLK] weird HWR problem

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 11:44:41 PST

The trick is to fool the Newt into understanding you!
My handwriting is so bad that words are regularly
mis-recognized into words that don't exist!
the word "the" is recognized as "tne". "this" is
usually recognized as "tnis" or "thi5". A Percent
Symbol "%" is recognized as "ono".
So, I use two tools. Expand and Corrector+
With Expand, I tell the Newt that whenever it
"recognizes" one of the common mis-recognized words,
to replace it with the correct word! So, I have an
expansion that replaces "tnis" for "this".
It's so automatic and seamless, I never notice it
happening! And if you run out of expansion space, just
get Alt.Rec...
With Corrector+, you set up patterns. I have a pattern
that whenever it sees a "5" at the end of a word to
replace it with an "s"...I have a ton of these things
setup so that rather than correct my sloppy writing,
(and force myself to think of the physical aspect of
writing instead of the idea of writing) my hand
writing just keeps on getting worse! When I notice
that I'm slipping, and it can be fixed with one of my
tricks, I'll do that first.
Only when none of my tricks work, will I make a change
to my writing!
This is also handy for commonly mispelled words. It
especially helps with minor dyslexia! I have a similar
problem on the computer...when I type words come out
wrong...so I use a tool called Perfect Keyboard (on
the Mac, I used QuickKeys). I have all sorts of
shortcuts installed...and yet, I still make typing
mistakes! Oh well...at least I can honestly say, "it
could be worse!"
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Luiz Petroni <lpetroni_at_compassoarte.com.br> wrote:
> Thanks Manu,
>
> The problem is that I'm in the situation that Ed
> described in a
> leading me to write
> in such a lazy way that I even don't have more
> patience to write in a
> legible way in paper!
>
> Among the [return] and caps "u" problems (which, I
> must admit, are
> occasional), some times I believe that this little
> green brick has some
> kind of telepatic HWR recognition inteligence. Even
> when I think
> "hum... I wrote it in such an ugly way that it will
> never get
> recognized", there comes the word perfectly
> recognized!
>
> lpetroni

=====
"China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."
 - Charles De Gaulle, former French President