Re: [NTLK] IMPORTANT: Newton Revival Imminent

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 05:37:39 PST

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 07:21:39AM -0500, Jared Bland wrote:
> According to statements from Stone Multimedia, while Apple is not
> interested in relaunching the Newton, a 3rd party is reportedly in
> negotiations with Apple to acquire and relaunch the Newton platform.

I'm starting to wonder if this is really not just talk after all. I don't
know enough about iSync and whether Palm's abandonment of MacOS software
is meaningless, but it would seem that Apple could possibly license Newton
"technology" to a 3rd party for a more MacOS-centric PDA to make up the
gap.

I have a bad feeling that even if the Newton was reborn, it would be done
in a way that would only appeal to a specific category of Newton user,
meaning it would probably feel and behave significantly different and
likely be designed with the iPod philosophy of being dumbed down ("more
intuitive") for more of a mass-market appeal. I also can't see something
being developed that would have potential to compete with the iPod, and
this is where I'm torn about the reality of this rumor. Still, Steve
Sakoman's been back at Apple for a year. Maybe he's had some inside
influence.

-Jeff