Re: [NTLK] Old article on Newton sales

From: Grant Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 15:38:48 PST

In a previous message, Manuel Probsthain typed vigorously:

>>I remember him saying that he never had a Newt before the 2000
>
>Which Apple sent to him at no cost IIRC...

According to the cupertino.de easter egg pages, it was an MP120:

>Write the words Egg Freckles in the notepad, and tap Assist. It will
>display a screen with a Doonesberry panel, where Doonesberry is holding a
>Newton and a stylus with a caption bubble above his head saying "Egg
>Freckles?". An obvious spoof of Trudeau's lampooning of the early Newtons
>which would perform questionable handwriting recognition.
>
>New York Times published an article on December 17, 1995 saying Garry
>Trudeau gave Newton programmers permission to use the cartoon after they
>told him of their plan to add the panel. Also according to the story, the
>original cartoon (the one mocking the Newton) was not "poking fun only at
>the Newton" but was more geared at "boys and their toys." Apple has also
>given Trudeau, who is a "devoted Macintosh user," a MP120 with Newton 2.0.
>He doesn't have "any handwriting-recognition calamities to report" with
>Newton 2.0.

http://www.cupertino.de/pages/archiv/EasterEggs/Newton.html

g.

Grant Hutchinson } Interface Considerations & Toys

Weblog } www.splorp.com
Newton } www.newted.org
Design } www.veer.com