Re: [NTLK] Strange Character?

From: Jonathan Ramos (imagraphicstudios_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 22:41:05 PST

Hi Guys,
I must not be worrying about too many things these days because this is
the only great mystery in my life right now.

As per the last digest, I still see this "?" as the universal symbol
icon to denote a ladies restroom.

For proof , I also see this symbol when I look up the text on the
Newtontalk archive with my browser, Netscape, rather than as an email.

http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2004-03/1449.html

Every one else seems to see a trademark symbol, a Swedish/Danish capital
A with the ring on top, or a superscript 1.
I still see this "?" and indepedently I can type ^(TM) Å and 1

Still mysterious to me,
Jonathan

newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

>On my Danish keyboard I can, however type what I
>now se in the message from you: A capital A with
>a little ring above it. In HTML it it
>'ambersand-aring-semicolon'.

<snip>

>I am on a Mac OS 9.2.2 using Netscape 7.02 Mail app, reading in
>American English, with Western (ISO-8859-1) character coding and this
>"?" (I am copy and pasting this, I don't know how to type this symbol)
>shows up as the universal symbol icon of the female stick figure used to
>denote a Ladies restroom. You know, round-dot-of-a-head, then a triangle
>with arms for the body/skirt, and two sticks holding it up for legs, Not
>a very flattering graphic of a the female form, I think, but I am still
>confused as how I am the only one seeing this.

<snip>

>hmm, i see a superscript 1

<snip>