Re: [NTLK] Racism On The Board (Was "Any Idea Why")

From: Brian Parker (bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 15:25:04 PST

Isn't it great how everything offends someone? I know two guys that
would be offended you assumed everyone in Africa is "black". They are
white guys whose family moved from France to Congo in the 1850's (not
sure if it is called Congo anymore...). They were born there, raised
there, and probably significantly more "African" than most "African
Americans". Being a runner I have met people of almost every
nationality. Some hate the term "black" but freely use "white". I
would be something like AustroGermanicAmerican =] Some hate "African
American" because they want to be 100% American. I have met Jamaican
sprinters who hated being called "African" because they wanted to be
associated with Jamaica. I have also met people who demanded to be
called "African American" even though they knew nothing about Africa.
Then there are the interesting cases like Tiger Woods. Is he African
American, Asian American, Philippine American? Michael Jackson has
very white skin, is he still "black"? Why are there separate groups,
why aren't these people simply Americans?

Any sources for the reference on mathematics? I had thought it was
mostly Greek/Roman/Egyptian/Babylonian for the start of math, then
Arabic/Hindu for the forms we use today (especially algebra).

BP