Re: [NTLK] Starting a new thread? Please start with a new message

From: Mike Burrell (mburrell_at_stny.rr.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 10:31:59 PST

on 3/25/04 8:02 AM, Victor Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I just wanted to remind people what if they are starting a new topic, please
> don't reply to an existing topic and blank out the subject and body.
>
> Some people like to start a new topic by hitting reply on a post, then just
> deleting the subject and body. But this causes their mail client to still
> consider the message part of an existing thread, and so messages get attached
> to threads that are totally unrelated.
>
> If you don't know what I mean, here's an illustration from my Mozilla Mail
> view of Newtontalk in threaded mode showing what happens:
>
> http://www.newtontalk.net/threading.gif
>
> I brought this up last month but it's worth mentioning again. Just remember,
> if it's a new topic, start with a fresh message window :) Thanks.

I confess... I'm one of the culprits! Chalk it up to being a newbie on the
list. On a somewhat similar topic. Is there any way for a discussion within
a discussion becoming a new thread? I guess it would be something that's
totally up to one of the readers of the thread right?
For example, sometimes I quit reading a thread because it might seem to
disolve into a private conversation. Therefore I delete those posts, without
reading, each time I see them come along. However, sometimes they never seem
to die which causes me to wonder if I'm missing some 'new and exciting'
discoveries.
What say you?