Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Towards DCL 1.1

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 20:24:06 PST

Aux environs du 29/03/04 à 16:13 -0500, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
[ANN] Towards DCL 1.1", Calvin Grier prit sa plus belle plume pour
écrire les mots suivants:
>This is very exciting work you are doing. Thanks for putting the effort into
>making the lives of Newtoneers better - helping us stay up-to-date in this
>very connected world we live in.
>
>Does the Linux version require use of TCP/IP connection for Docking or does
>it work with Serial? Is there a web page with any overview stuff on how to
>set up the DCL on a Linux machine?

There is no sample code taking advantage of the serial connection on
Linux although the code is implemented and was tested at some point
by Victor (I think). The serial layer is based on /dev/ devices and
does work on MacOS X.

The equivalent of UnixNPI could be written in 10 minutes or so.
Alternatively, you can hack the LaHotte sample code to serve over
serial instead (or in addition to) TCP/IP. LaHotte only provides
package installation.

I think the documentation may explain how to build the DCL and sample
codes on Linux. Nevertheless, the steps are the following:

- get the source code in a nightly build or via CVS. I suggest CVS.
You would proceed with:
cvs -z9 -d :pserver:anonymous_at_troyes.dyndns.org:/home/cvs login
press enter
then:
cvs -z9 -d :pserver:anonymous_at_troyes.dyndns.org:/home/cvs DCL

- get and install a recent version of Jam. We do use Jam 2.5rc3.
http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html

- compile with:
cd "DCL/Desktop Connection Library/_Build_/Jam"
jam

Report us any problem but this is what happens every night on
Victor's box with success.

We don't plan heavy developments towards Linux but most of our code
is mostly POSIX compliant and compiles on it. One could totally
imagine a sample code like Escale running on Linux. It's just not our
priority.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/