Re: [NTLK] Newton programs wish list (WAS:Newton MPEG Support

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 15:07:43 PST

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:01:47PM -0500, Dan wrote:
> >In Acrobat Reader, copy the content and paste it into a text file and
> >transfer to the Newt. Seems to me that'd work fine, or am I missing
> >something here?
>
> The one problem with PDF format is it is HUGE in comparison to plain text or
> Newton Books. There is a plugin in at http//:www.tinystocks.com (at lesat
> I think that is the link) for Acrobat that allows you to export a PDF to
> plain text. But you need the full version of Acrobat not the reader for it
> to work. Even if a PDF reader for the newon was available I probably would
> not bother with it unless it was fast and a way could be found to really
> compress it down. And I suspect that a reader would be slow and the PDFs
> would be huge.
>
> Also some PDF's don't allow you to select text and copy/paste it. And I
> agree that it is anoying to say the least if the PDF is say a hundred pages
> or larger (actually after 10 pages it becomes anoying).

PS2ASCII(1) Ghostscript Tools PS2ASCII(1)

NAME
       ps2ascii - Ghostscript translator from PostScript or PDF
       to ASCII

SYNOPSIS
       ps2ascii [ input.ps [ output.txt ] ]
       ps2ascii input.pdf [ output.txt ]

DESCRIPTION
       ps2ascii uses gs(1) to extract ASCII text from
       PostScript(tm) or Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)
       files. If no files are specified on the command line, gs
       reads from standard input; but PDF input must come from an
       explicitly-named file, not standard input. If no output
       file is specified, the ASCII text is written to standard
       output.

       ps2ascii doesn't look at font encoding, and isn't very
       good at dealing with kerning, so for PostScript (but not
       currently PDF), you might consider pstotext (see below).

FILES
       Run "gs -h" to find the location of Ghostscript documenta-
       tion on your system, from which you can get more details.

SEE ALSO
       pstotext(1), http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/virtual-
       paper/pstotext.html

VERSION
       This document was last revised for Ghostscript version
       7.05.

AUTHOR
       L. Peter Deutsch <ghost_at_aladdin.com> was the original
       author. The current version has substantial improvements
       by David M. Jones <dmjones_at_theory.lcs.mit.edu>.

Most Unixish systems (including OS X) should be able to get Ghostscript
stuff working. This includes cygwin installs on Windows.

--
28. My pet monster will be kept in a secure cage from which it cannot escape
    and into which I could not accidentally stumble.