Re: [NTLK] newbie first post

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 11:05:32 PDT

On May 6, 2004, at 9:17 AM, Thomas Isenbarger wrote:

> hello all:
> I will soon be the owner of a MP2100 (assuming my ebay purchase comes
> through). i've been scouring the web and it seems that there's a nice
> community of users here. it's great to be joining the ranks.
>
> i have a few questions about getting networking up and running, but
> first here are the items that will be coming with my Newton:
>
>> the original stylus, a good rechargeable NiMH battery, a 9W AC
>> adapter, one 4MB flash memory card and one 56k modem card with X-Jack
>> connector.
>
> is there anything else i should certainly buy right away? (a case,
> inserts for empty ports, screen protectors, etc.)
Unless I missed something, you will need a Dongle for the interconnect
port in order to get started. A mac with a serial port would be handy
too.

Or you might use the loaner card service to get the necessary packages
installed.

> i eventually want to get a wireless card working in it, but i realise
> that i will need to get drivers into the Newton before the card will
> work. because it is coming with a modem card, i am assuming that i
> will be able to email packages (drivers, apps) to the Newton for
> installation. Is this correct?
No, unless the Newton comes with all the necessary stuff preconfigured
(ie Newton Internet Enabler and a mail client).
> or, do i absolutely first have to have
> a serial cable to connect my Powerbook G4 (aluminum 15" with 10.3.3) to
> my Newton for the initial installation of communications drivers for
> the modem, etc?
Either that, or a linear flash memory card with the proper stuff on it.
> In that case, am i right in understanding that i will
> need both a USB to serial adaptor for the Powerbook and either a dongle
> for the Newton Interconnect port or a cable that fits directly into the
> Interconnect port? Is there a consensus on what are the best USB to
> serial adaptors, Interconnect port dongles, and cables?
I think the USB to serial thing is a waste of money personally. I
would try to get the loaner card service working and then bypass the
whole serial connection. Since you will have a 2100 and are planning
on the Wireless setup I would spend my $ there instead. Also, if you
live in a metro area near other newtonians, we would be happy to stop
over and help you get on track.

> Alternatively, I also have a Pismo at home (has IR capability). But,
> as I understand it, IR connections are difficult. . .
Actually as Paul said (I think it was Paul) Eckharts IR transport is
quite nice and runs very well under OSX.
> and I will need to
> get IR drivers and/or programs into the Newton before using IR anyway.
You might, depending on what you want to do. The Newton has IR support
built in, but you might need to extend it if you want other
functionality.

> Also, I have been to Hiroshi Noguchi's wireless driver site (several
> times). the table there of supported wireless cards seems to be
> outdated (i.e., Lucent is now Orinoco, correct?). Can someone give me
> the rundown of what cards (with current names and models) work best and
> where to get them?
I would search the archives for this one. Also, since you are
apparently ebay friendly finding one of older cards on the list is a
good way to go. I use the Lucent wavelan gold card.

> finally, one of my first projects will be to use VNC to control my
> Pismo that i have set up with a 400 GB drive to be a media server. i'd
> like to be able to remotely control iTunes from the back porch for some
> summer lounging. i think it should be easy to do, but i'll let you
> know how it goes.
That will work I have used VNC to control my OSX server before... As
long as you have you pismo audio hooked to a sound system on the back
porch.

> sorry for all the questions, but i'm an excited soon to be Newton
> owner. any other advice would be great! i am currently on digest
> mode, so please cc: responses directly to me at sindri AT mac DOT com.

Welcome!
Marty