Re: [NTLK] 3.3v Cards - 2100 okay?

From: Thomas Isenbarger (isen_at_molbio.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 11:58:13 PDT

> Welcome to the list Tom.
>
> You are correct that the ATA registration is 50 Euro. This is fair
> considering the amount of effort Paul has expended to make this happen.
>
> It is wonderful that you are so altruistic regarding your own software
> contributions.
>
> However, your tone suggests that to make a profit from it is just
> wrong. It
> sounds like an admonishment to Paul or anyone else charging for a
> software
> on this platform.
>
> Did I read this right?
>
> Emails have a habit on not conveying the right emotion or sentiment so
> if I
> have mischaracterized this - my apologies.
>
> Regards,
>
> PCBman

no, i think it's great that paul has put in 5 years of time to deliver
this great and much needed product. it's not wrong for him to make a
profit on this, as it is well-deserved, but it's just not something
that i can consider buying myself. in order to help out people that
are in the same boat as i, i will not charge for things i develop. .
.and they will most likely not be as helpful as the ATA drivers! i
suppose that i am more disappointed because i will not be able to use
this technology due to the prohibitive cost. hopefully i can get away
with my 8 mb, but if i cannot i will have to look for discarded or very
cheap linear cards.

tom I.