Re: [NTLK] flash card storage

From: Anton Aylward (anton_at_the-wire.com)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 14:30:53 PDT

I must admit this completely baffles me. I understand about different
file systems, but what the heck. Under *NIX, all devices appear in the
file system as 'raw' and all 'files' are just an array of bytes.

I can understand that the different file systems PLUS the lack of a VFS
definition and handler for the "newton file system' means that it cannot
be mounted. OK, not problem with that, But look ...

Long before *NIX had a virtual file system mechanism that allowed
handlers for other file systems, such as MS-DOS, to be mounted, there
were programs that accessed the 'disk' in the raw and interpreted the
array of bytes there, programs like MDIR, MCOPY, MCD, MDEL, MRD, MDEL
and so forth. Yes, we don't use these any more since we can now mount
MS-DOS and VFAT file systems on our *NIX machines.

But there is no reason what so ever this same principle can't be applied
to the Newton. I can pop my flash card from my newton and put it in the
PCMCIA slot of my laptop and read it as an array of bytes with 'dd' or
'cat'. (I have a dual boot laptop)

Perhaps someone like Daniel can do some click, click, tap, click, tap,
tap

--
Anton Aylward <anton_at_the-wire.com>