[NTLK] FS: Putting my 2100 on Ebay

From: Michael Mays (chaosmonk_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 00:39:52 PDT

Hello, everyone. I've been following the list for a long time, though I haven't made any posts to the list in awhile now. I have an original 2100 with a bunch of accessories that I'm planning on putting up on Ebay, but I thought I'd offer it to the list first. This is one of the brand new units sold by GEM a while ago for $500. Since then it's only seen light use.

I plan on putting it up on Ebay in the next couple of days; if I get an offer here that piques my interest before then, though, it's yours. See below for the description. Keep in mind that I'd like to recoup at least a good portion of my loss.

Oh, and one other thing: I have some sort of Newton travel battery charger. I think it may be for a 2-cell AA-size battery pack, though I really have no idea. The sticker on the back says "Newton Battery Pack Recharger, charges only Newton Rechargeable Battery Pack model H0017". The model number of the charger itself is H1200. First person to e-mail to me requesting it is welcome to have it for the cost of shipping. It might be good for a collector or something. I have no idea if it works, because I've never had anything to charge in it. :)

Thanks for your time,

Mike

Apple Newton MessagePad 2100 Original (Not an upgraded 2000)

You are bidding on a lightly used Apple Newton 2100 MessagePad. The Apple Newton was a groundbreaking product from Apple into the PDA industry years ago, and though the project was shut down by Steve Jobs long before it grew popular, the Newtons are still widely sought after and remain supported by some third parties today.

I have a ton of accessories for this thing, including the original box and most if not all of the original documentation. It was listed as a brand new unit when I purchased it through a reseller and there were no indications to the contrary when I received it--the original box even appeared to have its factory seal. The screen has no scratching or damage; the body itself is in perfect condition with no scratches or scuffs, the flip-over screen cover is present as are the rear clips to hold it to the back of the body. There are no missing parts. This piece of Apple heritage was kept inside a high-quality case for most of the time I owned it and has been treated with loving care. However, it was a bit too large for me to carry around and use well, and so I must part with it.

I haven't used the unit for any length of time in a while, and so I can't vouch for how well the battery works. I plugged the Newton in to test it while taking the pictures, and the battery seemed to charge normally. The Newton did run fine off the battery charge before I turned it off. Although I'm selling this unit as-is and no refunds are guaranteed, I think it's safe to say you'll most likely be happy with it. There are also a ton of extras, software discs, storage cards, and accessories that I am including in this auction--nearly everything you need to make your Newton experience complete. This unit has been "brain wiped" and returned to factory defaults.

What's Included:
Apple Newton MessagePad 2100 with original box & some documentation including Getting Started guide
Zippered super-high-quality leather portfolio case with pockets for storage cards/credit cards/ID cards/etc.
Slip-in Newton MP2x00 leather holster with strap rings and protective flap(the Newton can be used while in this case)
32mb Pretec flash storage card
8mb MGV flash storage card
Hayes Optima 33.6kbps PCMCIA modem with "X-Jack" style pop-out phone jack
Two "blank card" PCMCIA slot protectors (Apple original)
Travel AC charger
Replacement spare door clip (for back of Newton)
Newton Serial Adapter (converts Newton connector to serial connector for use with a Newton connection cable)
Four stylii (one original metal MP2x00 stylus, one original metal MP2x00 stylus NEW IN PACKAGE, one aftermarket metal stylus of unknown origin that fits in the MP2x00, one Emate style plastic stylus)
3 NuShield Newton MP2x00 screen protector films.

Note: I believe I have a serial connection cable for PC lying around. I am attempting to find this cable. Right now don't expect this cable to be included in the auction, but if I do find it I will toss it in the box for free.