Re: [NTLK] [ANN] LPR Driver 1.0

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 01:51:05 PDT

On May 9, 2004, at 12:42 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:

>>> Anyone else experienced problems or success with this new driver? Or
>>> does it only work here?
>> Here I get a "Newton is unable to print" message. This appears to be
>> after the connection has occurred.
>
> This means that the printer returned an error or that some other
> problem occurred.
Hmmm, I can't really see why, it's a good net connection at least.
Maybe the server.

> If you're trying to connect to a CUPS printer, then you need to
> spool, otherwise the server will return an error.
Not cups, and the spool option produced an error
(kInetToolErrNetworkIsInactive?)

> But did you see the Choose LPR Printer item on the contrary to James
> in the popup?
Absolutely, looks exactly like the nifty screen shot on your beautiful
LPR page.

>> If I turn on the spool option I get a -60037 error instead.
>
> Network is inactive. ???
> Weird.

Yeah, makes no sense.
> Could you please install and enable BugTrap and send me the generated
> report so I'll know where exactly the problem occurred.
OK, I will try that, I think it's already on the Newt :~) Bugtrap
isn't helping much. It seems to stop the spool from errors so now I
get the unable to print message both ways.

The log file on the server says that "LPR sharing is disabled for the
queue lp". Print from a mac works aok with a null queue name. This
doesn't seem to work on the Newt although I don't see any error
messages in the server log? a mystery.
>> This is a different location then I tested with before, so I can't be
>> sure it's not a queue name issue(ie I have it set wrong?). I am
>> attempting to print through a OSX 10.1.5 Server printer server(not
>> cups).
Frankly I don't think the OSX 10.1.5 print service is worth getting too
excited about. It's a convenient work around for me, but I have seen
many people complain about problems with it (I haven't has any). I
will try with my HP4Mv on monday when back at "the office".

> The previous version always sent lp as the queue. You can do this, it
> will then usually print to the default queue. You can also leave the
> queue blank.
Tried both of those to no avail. lp as a queue produced an error in the
server log. leaving the queue blank did not.

> On my Mac (running 10.3), in the Print Center, I can ask for
> information about a particular printer and it includes the name of
> the queue.
10.1.5 server isn't that smart.

> http://www.kallisys.net/QueueName.png
>
>> While I have your attention:
>> Also with regard to the new DCL nightly (yeah) I used the nightly
>> escale to install the LPR thing ( via rendezvous) which worked but
>> produces a -16009 and a -28009. After this, escale is fine, but
>> Newton
>> needs a restart to see escale again. This is with the newest TCP dock
>> and NIE patch 4 installed.
>
> When did you get the -16009 and the -28009? While installing?
immediately following the successful installation of any package (via
rendezvous).
marty