Re: [NTLK] [OT] Newton, PocketPC & Palm

From: Edmund Blackadder (edmund_at_helmug.gr)
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 19:35:29 PDT

I have used numerous pda devices over the past years. Almost none of
them seem to fullfill my needs. The best experience i had was with
Psion 5mx.

This is mainly because i think of a pda as an autonomous device.
Without the need of carrying a laptop with you.

Psion 5mx had an almost full keyboard. But it is not good for taking
notes. That was his main drawback.

I agree that the new devices are excellent value for money. BUT for me
a very small screen is useless. Also i need to have a keyboard handy.
In summary, for me a pda should be almost like a laptop, without the
need for recharging every 2 or 3 hours. I do not fancy just an
electronic super filofax.

recently i decided to buy a newton for the reasons i explained above.
If it fullfils my needs remain to be seen (i havent got the machine in
my hands yet). The only trhing i know is that none windows CE or palmOS
machine has.

The fact is that there is a void in the market. mini laptops like
libretto still suffer from short battery life.

Of course, other kind of users have different needs. I just said my
personal opinion based on my needs.

This (off) topic is very interesting. I expect some really nice views
to be heard.

Kostas Theofilis