Re: [NTLK] I'm getting worried!!

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 23:32:37 PDT

on 5/9/04 8:43 AM, Rick Ludwig at bensisko_at_mac.com wrote:

> So my question to the list is this: Will you still want to be using
> your Newton come 2010? It's still a good 5-6 years off, and hopefully
> someone will fix the bug, but do you have any faith that somebody will
> release something new for you?

I can't say for certain if I will still be using my 2100 in 6 years like I
am today, but I do trust the hack that has been put out. I did an experiment
on my 130 once, entering a date in 2010, locking it, forcing a brain wipe...
I then installed the hack, and did the same, and the 130 kept working. I
trust that this hack is sufficient, and if not, somebody else will have
fixed the hack by then. I suppose, however, it would be a good idea if
somebody did it sooner, rather than later.

Has anybody done thorough testing on this fix? Can it be truly trusted? I
know it worked on my 130 (and may still be on there for all I know) but has
it been tested on other models? More extensively?

I like to think that I will still be using Newtons in 6 years, but I cannot
say. I know that one reason I kept using Newtons is that I have tons of
money invested in them in software and extra hardware. I don't think I could
ever recoup all that were I to switch to another platform, so I'm trying to
squeeze every last penny out of them. :-) So far, from what all I've seen,
there has not been a good, solid replacement to my Newton, for what I want
it for--note-taking, travel email/web, contact integration with calendar,
and simple, non-intrusive interface that anticipates my needs, and works
great with a pen. Others do part of this, but none do all. Palm, IMO, is
closest, but every time I play with one, I feel like I'm trying to work on
my Newton through a paper towel tube. ;-) I feel like I have tunnel vision,
in other words.

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland