[NTLK] The Ethereal eBay Newtons: Lots of apologies, lots of excuses

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 06:36:26 PDT

Brett, you certainly seem to have everything wrapped up very nicely in your
recent posting. How convenient that you would have an explanation for every
questionable aspect of the supposed "Grand Newton Liquidation." I'll briefly
respond to a few of your statements.

You stated that you were not the person "in charge" of the alleged Newton
sale.
Well, then, why not put that person in touch with the Newtontalk list? Why
didn't your organization set up a one page website to provide further
information? Why didn't you send a bulk e-mail to interested buyers? You're saying
that you were just a third party seems just a little too convenient. Reminds me
of the typical urban legend, "This is a true story I heard this from my
neighbor's brother-in-law." It leaves no way to verify the facts and readers have
to take you at your word.

You also stated that this site was not necessarily the only forum for
discussing the sale of Newtons. Well, let me clue you in on something -- this site
represents the LARGEST intercommunicating group of Newton users in the world.
Are we to believe that you found a larger venue elsewhere?

You made another comment that "some" Newtontalk members were contacted off
list and transactions were made. Why haven't we heard a report from one of the
nearly two thousand Newtontalk members, if indeed some of them made a purchase
from you? What did you do, sell them all to F erd i?

Supposing it were true that your organization had 1,800 Newtons to sell for a
maximum ROI, and you were not going to consider bulk orders of less than
perhaps ten units per transaction, what would be the point in notifying members of
this list? One thought might be that before approaching a computer
liquidator, you wanted to find out if there was still any consumer demand for the
handheld computers. There's nothing wrong with conducting data mining -- if it is
done properly.

You may be on the up-and-up, Brett, but my business instincts say "horse
$h[+".
At the very least, you're guilty of communicating in a less than professional
manner.

Matt K.