Re: [NTLK] copying pkg's to newton

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 06:08:00 PDT

Edmund Blackadder (edmund_at_helmug.gr) wrote:

> but i was wondering if the pkg installs more than the app in unfiled
> icons (extensions etc).

Application packages are usially self-contained. If they rely on other
packages, you would know, because you would have installed them manually.
This isn't Mac OS or Windows, where an installer would do some mysterious
things behind your back.

> For example i want to beam NIE 2.0 to the
> second newton. I just copy the extension?

You would if you could ;-) First, there isn't a single, monolithic NIE
2.0 extension; rather, it's a set of extensions. Second, most of these
can't be transferred by beaming -- only "Newton Devices" can. However,
when you have an ethernet card, you can beam "Newton Devices" and the
ethernet card's driver to another Newton, insert the ethernet card,
configure it for AppleTalk, and install the rest of the NIE packages via
ethernet.

- Michael

Michael J. Hußmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de