[NTLK] Keyspan serial under OS X and OS 9

From: Blake Patterson (blakespot_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 09:47:33 PST

I have a G5 running OS X that can run OS 9 in classic.

I also have a iBook (G3 700) that runs OS X and can
boot OS 9 natively.

I have a Newton MP2100 that I am developing a
NewtonScript app for, syncing via a Keyspan
USB<->Serial adapter.

You cannot install both the OS X and OS 9 Keyspan
drivers and have NTK running under Classic talk with
the Newton, as the OS X Keyspan drivers "win" and OS 9
can't communicate. As such I'd been using the iBook
booting under OS 9 natively as the NTK dev platform.

Well, my iBook is dying - it sleeps when screen is
open > 60-degrees. Ugh. It also won't boot anymore
as it "slept" right after boot and something is
corrupted on the boot drive.

So I want to use the G5 running NTK under Classic as
the dev platform - so I must get Classic OS 9 talking
via the Keyspan to the MP2100. I understand there is
a way to temporarily disable the OS X keyspan drivers
so that I can get OS 9 to see the "serial port." Can
someone tell me how to disable (and then re-enable)
the OS X Keyspan drivers so that OS 9 Classic can use
the device?

Thanks. Is there a more elegant route than this?

bp