Re: [NTLK] Alternate text editing?

From: David Neale (david.neale_at_pandora.be)
Date: Fri Nov 05 2004 - 04:01:47 PST

Being purely pedantic, a car is stationary if it's parked (as are other
things that don't move). Paper is stationery, as are other items that
fall under "writing materials" (envelopes, pens, ink, rulers, etc.). I
believe that American usage makes this same distinction.

Many, many years ago at school, we were told to remember this by
associating the "a" in "car" with the "a " in "stationary" and the "e"
in paper" with the "e" in "stationery." Despite the problem of what to
do about the "a" in "paper," this seems to have been a good guideline
-- I still remember it, anyway!

David