Re: [NTLK] Newton Leadership -- Is there such a thing?

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Thu Nov 11 2004 - 14:28:29 PST

> Does the Newton Worldwide Community have any kind of leadership =
hierarchy?

No. This is one of the things I like most about this community. It just
doesn't need any. And still it survives and grows.=20

> If a leadership hierarchy exists, do they actually perform any duties? =
=20

As I said, I don't think a leadership exists, so there's no one to=20
perform any duties. However, even if a leadership DID exist, I would=20
recommend to remove "duties" from your word list. Whatever the active
Newtoneers are doing shouldn't be considered a duty. People are doing
what they are doing because they WANT to do it, not because they feel
obliged to do it. Be aware that a fair amount of us have demanding
jobs that don't have the word "Newton" in them. What these people do
for the Newton community is done AFTER taking care of what is paying
the rent. If I were feeling that fixing people's Newtons were a duty,
I'd probably stop doing this altogether, get myself a good book and
a bottle of decent single malt whisky and spend my nights comfortably
on the sofa.=20

> Why don't they launch any initiatives to foster new development work?

In my opinion Newton development work isn't something that can be =
fostered.=20
People are doing it for fun, or because they want to help. They are not
doing it for money. If I was writing the software I'm writing at night
for money, I'd definitely NOT write Newton software. I'd write Palm and
Pocket PC and Win CE and whatever else software.=20

> Why isn't there some kind of newsletter issued from the Newton=20
> powers-that-be from time to time, so the rest of us will know
> what is going on?

Most likely because NewtonTalk is the best and most effective newsletter
we'll ever have.=20

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de=20