Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie - Wireless Card Problems

From: Tony Goh (hitonygoh_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 25 2004 - 17:11:37 PST

Hi Victor,

Thank you so much for yur help. I am even more appreciative especially since it is Thanksgiving.

I have tried your suggestion but I still continue to experience the same error message, that it couldn't resolve IP Address smtp.ameritech.yahoo.com

I entered the local IP address for my Newton as 192.168.123.250
Gateway as 192.168.123.254

Incidentally, I manually entered into my router the Primary DNS/Name server address you see on both the router and Newton. Does this impact it?

Also, I received feedback that this card, Lucent WaveLan (bronze) being a "b" card is not compatible with "g" networks.

Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net> wrote:
Tony Goh wrote:
> Sonny, Dave, et al.
>
> I have made some changes to both my wireless router settings and Internet Set up.
>
> Router
>
> For wireless connection I have selected channel 1. Somehow the system lists
> an MAC address for wireless connectivity. Is this relevant? See below.
> My wan connection is PPPoE. Does this impact the results?
>
> Internet Settings:
>
> Configuration: Manual
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Local IP Address: 192.168.123.254
> Gateway Router Address: 69.209.102.110
> Primary DNS/ Name Server Address: 192.168.123.254

The IP address and gateway address you put into your newton should NOT be the
same as the numbers in your router!

Your Newton needs a separate IP address. Think of it this way - if both your
Newton and your Router had the same address, how would anything determine
which computer they were talking to?

If your router supports DHCP for configuration, then use it. I don't think
your manual configuration is anywhere near correct.

If DHCP won't work (ie. SimpleMail complains as you say or you get a -60088
error) I think you should change your manual setup on the Newton as follows:

Local IP Address: 192.168.123.25 (anything but .254)
Gateway Router Address: 192.168.123.254 (this is your router's local IP, and
we need to use your router as a gateway to the internet)

Regards,
Tony Goh
hitonygoh_at_yahoo.com
 530 236 7836 Internet Fax