Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie - Wireless Card Problems

From: David Abramowitz (david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Nov 25 2004 - 18:41:18 PST

On Nov 25, 2004, at 8:42 PM, Tony Goh wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I followed your instructions with exception of downloading drivers. I
> am not that advanced yet in regards to downloading drivers, slowing
> down clock speeds and transferring to the Newton.
>
> Let me see if I understand you. When you say network name of
> Spongebob, I assume that is the SSID. Correct?
>
> What do I enter for host name and domain name? The default host is
> USR8054, likewise the SSID.

Yes, in my example, Spongebob is the SSID.

As I said in my instructions, you set the Newton to DHCP and let the
router assign it an IP address, and DNS info. DO NOT enter an IP on the
Newton, and DO NOT enter a host or domain name. The router will take
care of it.

But in the Wireless configuration for the Lucent card, you must enter
an SSID, which is the name of your network - look in your router
configuration. USR8054 sound a bit strange to me. Make sure that's the
name of the network according to your router. I assume you have other
machines on the network getting Internet access, correct? Check the
other machines, and see what network name they are joining. This is
your SSID.

> I also have feedback that the card drivers are not compatible with "g"
> or "g/b".
> So maybe, just maybe the new driver makes it compatible?

Clarification - the driver will not work in a PURE G setup, but as long
as you're using a mix of B and G clients, you're okay. If you have a G
router, it should also be capable of serving B clients, so you
shouldn't have a problem.