Re: [NTLK] einstein -> antelope -> oqo? RANT ALERT!

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 02:58:06 PDT

>From: Roman Pixell <roman_at_pixell.net>
>Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:32:31 +0200

>On Sep 30, 2004, at 10:39 PM, Oliver Brose wrote:

>>When hooking it up to full size computer that computer
> > would use & display the files on the HD, basically providing just a
>> big screen and more power combined with a smart interface designed for
>> stationary use, and it would still be a useful computer once you left.
>> All your data would always be with you, and you would always have the
> > interface that works best in your given situation.

>could not agree more.

>the OQO is clearly paving the way for modular computing, no matter what
>OS. ok, i mihgt be sad that apple didnt come up with it first, but why?
>because of sentimentality? no, i think its time to appreciate it for
>what it is, as a HW concept. the vision of its creators was to provide
>an ultra-mobile but fullgrown modular device for bringing all the user
>data, programs, etc *w/o having to sync*, and guess what? most users
>actually have XP loaded on their desktop today!
>
>its not a tablet, dammit - its a full-blown computer for regular use!

Exactly, and I don't see why one should want to have a "dead" workplace around (screen, mouse, keys, ...) until someone walks in with the OQO. There was this rumor about "home on iPod", maybe you remember? The iPod carries your "home"folder, plug it into any Mac OSX machine, log in, off you go, with all your data, all your settings, it's basically your computer. Once you log out the machine can provide its power for somebody else.
What I do not need on the go is a device that has little runtime and a high price due to being overpowered in order to be functional as "full blown" but low-end desktop. I need a slim device with a mobile interface that runs all day. The OQO form-factor seems fine, but a 3-400MHz CPU should be way enough (not for XP of course), and a 60GB drive instead.
This would be perfect for students, e.g. : Having taken a bunch of notes in course you feel like a bit of WWW, and since the lab offers a bigger pipe than the WLAN you walk in, hook up the unit, log in, and off you go, with all your personal settings, checking your home email account, having all your bookmarks... logging off without fear that someone could hack into your data as you are taking it with you. At home you work on the same notes you took earlier, but no need for import or re-organization. The only time you really have to "sync" or transfer your data is when you backup, or when you have really big projects that would benefit massively from being put on the faster HD of your desktop.

One would guess that these kind of devices would cut into notebook sales, but OTOH they might be very successful. I am not buying another notebook, but a powerful desktop, and why? Because my Newton is enough, I never take my iBook anywhere, safe for the couch or garden. Too big, too heavy, too little battery, can't use notebook displays outside. And I don't think I am alone.

Oliver

--
Twenty years ago we worried about a nuclear strike by the Russians, now we worry about a nuclear strike by a General Protection Fault or a Blue Screen of Death. We've come a long way, baby. / AsTheAppleTurns on http://makeashorterlink.com/?G28812E39 / Honey, do we still have the keys to the fallout shelter?