Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie (long)

From: Don V. Zahniser (irntooth_at_eznet.net)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 02:04:14 PDT

OK - I figured out this one:

>1) Email addresses don't move from the Palm Desktop to the Newt. I have
>found the settings for fine-tuning the fields between Names and Claris
>Organizer 2.0, but there is no email field in the latter. Any
>suggestions on how to map the fields so that email addresses will
synchronize?

* In the default configuration in NCU for synchronizing between the
Newton and Claris Organizer 2.0, the email address for Newton isn't
mapped to anything on the Claris Organizer side.

* In Palm Desktop 2.6.3, the email address corresponds to Custom 1 in
Claris Organizer 2.0, so I mapped the latter to the email address on the
Newton side. BTW - It appears that the web page field in Palm Desktop
2.6.3 is the Custom 2 field in Claris Organizer 2.0.

* I synchronized the Names file only between the Newton and my Powerbook,
and confirmed that an email address that I put into the Newton made it
over to Palm Desktop. However, because none of the other names in either
unit was marked as changed, nothing else got updated.

* I elected to delete all of the names in my Newton and re-synch. The
first time I tried, I got an error (don't recall the exact message), but
when I set up the synchronization preferences so that "Computer Wins",
the names all went across with the email field.

* Along the way, I had several issues, most of which were resolved by
increasing the memory assigned to both NCU and Palm Desktop. I used
10000K and 5000K, respectively.

* I am synchronizing between my Newton and Palm Desktop using the
'Merge...' function in the latter, and picking 'Claris Organizer 2.0' in
the Intellilink folder within NCU. I am still using my Palm m130 for
some things, and did not want to directly modify the UserID information
for that unit. I can open the 'Claris Organizer 2.0' file to confirm the
desired functionality of the synchronization before I update my Palm User
file.

--
Don V. Zahniser
<irntooth_at_eznet.net>