Re: [NTLK] mac or not to mac, or how much PC really costs

From: j g (atcnn2_at_yahoo.se)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 02:12:21 PDT

Hi All,

We all (to 80--90%??) live in a PC world. I run a company. Recently I
was pushed by an idea to use PC at my company due to the fact that
there are "only PCs everywhere" and that there is more software
available for PC. I decided to use a PC. After connecting to internet I
(a Mac user since 1985) was shocked by the level of problems/costs and
virus. After setting up (windows 2000), the PC simply crushed , time
after time. We couldn't run it. I tried to manage myself. With my
simple Mac-mind I couldn't. After loosing a day or two of my life, I
went to a PC shop to ask a guy what to do. He looked at me (in his eyes
I saw a question: how much I could earn on him) and asked: did you
install: patches, services packs, firewalls and routers. Or perhaps
even server. NO! I said, I want a simple solution. He looked at me like
a father on a child. I will help you - he said. (he is a nice guy). OK,
what I have to do? - I asked. He said: he would prepare a CD for me,
for the most immediate use, but you have to install service packs from
internet. OK, OK!. After a day, I installed the CD with windows 2000
patches which stopped the PC to instantly crush. Later he called me and
said that I have (often) to scan PC for virus using internet scanners
and install the anti-virus software which I did. After installing the
anti-virus software, the software asked the PC operator, 10 times an
hour, if the file which wants to access the PC is a virus or not. The
PC operator called me to ask which bottom to push: YES or NO. I say: I
don't know, answer "Yes". The mail with attachments cannot go through
due to firewall. We had to inform the PC which IP is friendly or not
friendly, who can and who cannot send the attachments to us... A lot of
work... After all this the PC was much better but still not good. The
PC guy advised to set up a router (hardware) or a server. At this point
!! I put a question: "HOW MUCH THIS PC REALY COSTS in time and money?"
I mean really!!! Did anyone of the clever PC guys calculated that? On
the same street there is an other company with 12 people working on
PCs and one service guy working, full time !!, with their network.
Imagine the costs. I gave up. The router and anti-virus software plus
our work-time would cost less than a secondhand mac or even firsthand
mac. We made a decision: we buy an Imac (secondhand). Than we simply
installed all software plus internet connection, AIM. That's all. I
works. No virus, no firewalls, extra software and time. If anyone
hesitates between Mac and PC, send him to me.

Now more philosophic.

Than I was talking to my friends, PC lovers. They said: I exaggerate.
After all, one has to know the computer. I said: I don't want to know
how computer works, imagine, I said to them, a TV-set or a car which
stops 5 times a day or asks you to decide if something is virus or
not?? Or I should know, in TV-set case, which resistor has to be
changed when TV-set suddenly stops. Is it so that most of civilized
people accepted to work with prototypes or half ready products, and pay
and pay and pay endless amount of money for support, service, patches,
holes, hangs, lost data, virus attacks etc.. What it is good for? Why
it is so accepted? Are we so stupid at the end? (NOT WE MAC PEOPLE)

John