Re: [NTLK] mac or not to mac, or how much PC really costs

From: Puckdropper (puckdropper_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 16:05:57 PDT

> If you let your kid online on a pc it is unlikely to
work for long, unless you ban all incoming. I really
dont understand why anyone buys a pc?
> Chris

You mean "If you let your parent online..." right?
;-) Just kidding.

Disclaimer: This post is interlaced fact and opinion.
 You're entitled to your opinion, as I am. I'm not
trying to insult anyone or start a flame war, just
express several thoughts.

I don't have antivirus software installed on my
IBM-compatible (A PC is a Mac--by definition) but I do
use the built-in firewall. I've had only one problem
with a virus, and that was due to the fact the
firewall wasn't enabled by default. (As of XP SP2, it
is.) If you practice "Safe Surfing" blocking most pop
up ads, deleting spam on site, using some browser
other than Internet Explorer, not opening executable
(.exe, .bat, .com, .pif are the main extensions)
attachments, you really won't have a problem with
viruses.

It does help if you're behind a router, but that's too
complex for the normal user. Like a car, a PC will
work well if you know how to drive (use) it. Also
like a car, you have to drive defensively to avoid
accidents.

I've found the number 1 reason that people use Windows
or IE is "because it's there." The number 1 reason
that virus writers attack those two pieces of software
is because people use them. If everyone switched to
Mac, we'd have Mac worms going around.

Puckropper