Re: [NTLK] mac or not to mac, or how much PC really costs

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 17:54:27 PDT

On Oct 6, 2004, at 4:05 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

> I don't have antivirus software installed on my
> IBM-compatible (A PC is a Mac--by definition)
Actually I think you mean a mac is a PC by definition?
> but I do
> use the built-in firewall. I've had only one problem
> with a virus, and that was due to the fact the
> firewall wasn't enabled by default.
Firewalls will not protect to you from most viruses, this is a popular
misconception.

> (As of XP SP2, it
> is.) If you practice "Safe Surfing" blocking most pop
> up ads, deleting spam on site, using some browser
> other than Internet Explorer, not opening executable
> (.exe, .bat, .com, .pif are the main extensions)
> attachments, you really won't have a problem with
> viruses.
True if you get rid of IE and are extremely careful with attachments,
that goes a long way.

Still if you dumb out for a minute and click on the wrong attachment...
  Look out!

marty