Re: [NTLK] Serial port no longer provided on new laptops ...

From: Andy Galluzzi (agalluzzi_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 08:07:31 PDT

Ronnie Simon wrote:

>I have to exchange my current laptop
>with a spanking new laptop within the next 3 days. I have just noticed
>that there is no serial port.

Up to now, as far as I know, the only aproach to sync Newton in a
Windows enviroment with a laptop without any serial port is to use one
of that USB-to-Serial converters.

>Carrying a serial cable over the last 7 years to facilitate communications
>between the Newton 2100 and the laptop PC is hard act to beat in a truly
>mobile context (hotel rooms, secure military sites ...).
>

> Ronnie Simon

I agree with this Roonie. I think that in the near future, we have to be
able to sync our Newton throught a Bluetooth or WiFi connection. I was
thinking on that the other days, when I was thinking in buying a Newton
Keyboard. In a moment I stop my search and say for myself: "how much
sense does a Newton keyboard have now, if we think in having a bluetooth
keyboard? Why not use the same bluetooth keyboard for every keyboard
enabled device?". So, right now I'm waiting to know enought from Newton
to develop a Bluetooth keyboard driver (read: in some years) or wait for
somebody else to develop it (this is more probable; some people have now
the most of the needed knowledgment).

Best Regards,
Andy.