Re: [NTLK] OT: advice needed: clamshell ibook

From: Riccardo Mori (rick_at_poc.it)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 14:06:45 PDT

scotty technoir:

> hey gang, sorry for the OT but i know there are some wizards on the
> list. this is a question for the old coloured ibook/imac d00ds.
> i have here a tangerine original ibook. it runs OS 9 great but my job
> is to get OS X on to it somehow. however the CD-rom is dead or acts
> dead, if i put in a CD the Finder asks to format it :/
> so any ideas?

well, the CD-ROM drive doesn't sound very healthy. especially if, when
inserting a CD, you hear a lot of mechanical noises when the iBook
tries to mount it.

by your description, i assume you have an iBook G3/300 MHz, which was
shipped with a 3.2 GB hard drive and a poor amount of memory, at least
for Mac OS X requirements. how much RAM do you have installed? because
i would consider a RAM and, possibly, a hard drive upgrade before even
thinking of installing OS X.

the CD drive problem makes things very difficult, also. a friend of
mine, with the same problem, was so determined as to dismantle the
iBook, take out the hard drive, insert the hard drive into an external
firewire bridge, install OS X from a Powermac G4 onto the drive, and
then re-insert the drive back inside the iBook. but since the clamshell
iBook take-apart is sort of a hellish process, i think he could have
had less hassle in trying to find a new CD-ROM drive...

Rick