Re: [NTLK] Swapping ROMs?

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 09:19:46 PDT

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:09:24 +0200, Johannes Wolf
<mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int> wrote:

> 2) swapping ROMs will 99% cause a full reset of your Newt -> ALL DATA will
> be DELETED

To my recollection a ROM swap shouldn't effect data - isnt' that
stored in Flash?
Even if asked, 'if you want to wipe all data', you can always say NO.
Swapping ROMs with a different language or say different Newton (ex.
MP2x00 with an eMate) this would wipe out the NOS Updates also...but
didn't this still leave the data wipe option to the user?

Am I mistaken?

Back to the original problem - say we rule out the soups, ..etc..
there is always a final issue which could be the NOS Update/Patch
being corrupted... If you are in this boat your only choice is to do a
ROM swap with a different language or eMate ROM as I mentioned - this
would wipe the NOS back to the original Firmware and then you'd have
the opportunity to patch it back if needed. (now the only question is
do you have a ROM of this type to do this. If you need I could assist
you in regards to this as I've done this a few times already to get my
eMate and MP2x00s to the original firmware. One time was out of
necessity as I ran into a similar situation and the MP2x00 just would
not run - I think it was not turning on properly)

--
God bless you and your search to resolve this issue to get you back up
and running.